NetDISK 352UN Quick Install Guide
Quick Install Guide
Please read this manual thoroughly before installation.
Copyright 2011 IOCELL Networks Corporation. IOCELL Networks, NDAS®and NetDISK® are trademarks or registered trademarks of IOCELL Networks Corporation or one of its affiliates. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. IOCELL Networks reserves the right to change, without notice, product offerings or specifications.
- 1 In the Box
- 2 Precautions
- 3 HDD Installation
- 4 Data Connection Overview
- 5 Hardware Activity Overview
- 6 NDAS Software Installation
- 7 RAID1 (Mirror) Configuration & Usage
- 8 Formatting new storage space
- 9 Accessing the RAID 1 by USB
- 10 MAC and Linux Users
In the Box
Please find the following articles in the retail package along with the 352UN.
Note: Your power adapter may vary. In keeping our commitment to the environment, we recommend low power "Green Technology" style drives. A higher amperage adapter may be substituted if your hard disks require more power.
Improper configuration, setup or operation, the presence of static electricity, defective components, magnetic fields, etc. may cause the loss of data. Please carefully inspect all components prior to assembling, installing or storing data on the product. The manufacturer will not be responsible for lost data. Please back up all sources regularly.
- Do not attempt to modify or service the product, serious damage may occur.
- Take extra care when installing the hard disk drive(s).
- Please carefully inspect all power cords and electrical connections for damage before using. Do not touch any electronic components if your hands are wet.
- Moving the product while operating, may damage to the hard disk(s) or other parts. Before moving, please turn off the power and wait until the hard disk(s) spin down completely.
- Please allow the internal hard disk(s) to cool completely before handling.
- Do not drop or shock the product, this may cause fatal damage to the product and/or the hard disk(s).
- Do not use the product in dusty or moisture prone conditions.
- Operating in areas subject to rain or other wet circumstances will damage your device.
- Do not operate the product in a hot place or leave it in direct sunlight, it may cause damage.
- Keep the product out of the reach of children.
Installation and Assembly Precautions
- Prepare a clear workspace for assembly and a clear space where the product will operate.
- Install hard disk(s) only when the power cord is disconnected.
- Do not apply too much pressure or force to any parts during installation, product damage or personal injury may occur.
- Handle the hard disk drive carefully to avoid shock by force or static electricity (operator ground wire suggested).
|1) Turn the 352UN upside down.
2) Insert a coin or similar object and twist to remove the door.
|3) Slide the drive all the way in past the opening.
4) Replace the door and set the unit upright.
|Single drive installation
When using only one drive, it must be installed in Slot A. This is the right side slot when the 352UN is upright.
|Drive thickness may vary|
The pads provided can be attached as in the illustration to ensure a snug fit if needed.
|Different capacity drives|
Different capacity drives and different models may be installed at the same time. However, RAID configurations will be limited to the size of the smaller drive.
|Different cache / buffer sizes|
If the drives have different on-board cache buffers, the larger size buffer must be installed in slot A.
Data Connection Overview
|NDAS may be connected to:
(Ethernet hubs, repeaters and wireless bridges are not supported.)
|USB can only access the disks in two modes.
RAID0 (Stripe) is not accessible by USB. Please see the notes in the RAID section for more instructions. USB does not require software installation on most systems.
Follow the steps below to establish either data connection to the 352UN.
- Place the 352UN on a level surface.
- Insert the power cord firmly into the unit.
- Connect the power adapter to electric supply.
- Turn the unit on ( | ).
- Insert the desired connection cable.
It is best practice to follow steps 4 and 5 any time the unit has powered down. Re-connecting the cables is not required in the case of disks merely spinning down due to inactivity.
Follow the steps below to change the connection mode.
- Dismount from each computer that is connected by NDAS or safely remove the USB connection.
- Remove the current connection cable.
- Power down the 352UN ( 0 ).
- Follow the instructions above to reconnect the unit.
Concurrent USB and Ethernet Access
This is not possible. USB only allows access from a single host. Do not connect both interfaces at the same time! The 352UN Ethernet connection will be disconnected if the USB cable is inserted.
Hardware Activity Overview
There are several things to observe while operating the 352UN. This section provides a brief overview of the things to expect.
Power & Disk LED
|Power ON||Short flash||Short flash||Short flash then steady|
|No Connection||Steady green until Ethernet or USB is connected||Off||On|
|Data R / W||On||On||On|
|RAID 1 Sync||Flashing||Flashing||On|
|Spin Down*||Flash then Off||Flash then Off||On|
|Spin Up||Flash then Off||Flash then Off||On|
*Note: When connected by NDAS, the internal drives will spin down (sleep) after one minute if there is no access over the network. This setting cannot be changed.
The 352UN has a temperature controlled fan. It will turn on when the air temperature inside is too hot. The on/off threshold cannot be changed.
NDAS Software Installation
32 & 64 Bit Windows 7 / 2008 / Vista / 2003 / XP / 2000
NDAS Software allows multiple computers on the network to use the 352UN. It is also required to set up RAID configurations.
Connect the 352UN to the network and follow the steps below to setup each computer that needs to access the unit.
|1) Run the installer from the CD or download the latest NDAS software from our home page.
2) After installation, the NDAS Device Registration Wizard walks you through the connection process.
3) The NDAS ID and Write Key are printed on the back of the 352UN.
|4) After registration the 352UN appears in the NDAS Device Management tool.|
RAID1 (Mirror) Configuration & Usage
Windows NDAS users can combine two hard drives in the 352UN in a RAID1 array to protect against hard disk failure. Configuration is only required once. The mirrored drives will mount as one disk on Windows clients that have registered the 352UN.
Use the NDAS Bind Manager to create a RAID1 array
Formatting new storage space
When a new drive or newly configured RAID is mounted for the first time, the storage space must be formatted. This is handled by the operating systems standard tools when using NDAS devices.
Accessing the RAID 1 by USB
NDAS Bind Management maintains an index of Mirrored data according to the disk in slot A on the 352UN. You can access and change data by USB on this drive. When the 352UN is mounted RW from a Windows computer via NDAS, the drives will begin synchronizing. Please read the full user manual for more information.
MAC and Linux Users
Please see the Readme files on the CD for more information about NDAS access to the 352UN. USB Access to the 352UN will work in the same way that is described here.